Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dating Dilemma

Okay, so I'm finally reaching the point where I'm feeling like dipping my toe back into those ever so fish filled waters. I have no idea how to do that.

First, when it comes to dating, I'm an infant. I'm a social newbie. My ex was my first boyfriend, and really the only guy I ever really dated. I had a thing for a guy before him, a guy who never was willing to go beyond friends, and we went to a movie one night together but he made it clear it wasn't a date, it was "hanging out". My ex probably took me on a total of about five dates, I mean where you are clearly "going out on a date". We did lots of things together as a couple, but it was more along the hanging out style. So really, I have no idea how you date.

Okay, so lets say for a moment the dating part itself is easy, which it probably is, here is the real kicker. How do you meet people? I don't drink, I don't hang out at bars. I'm not religious, I don't belong to a church. Those are the two most obvious places I can think of to meet someone. The third would be the internet, but most of the online social things are filled with people trolling for a one night stand or booty call buddy or "Friend with benefits". I don't think people get the "friend" part of that, they think it means "we will screw without me ever having to take you out to dinner and a movie first". I don't know, maybe that IS what it means and *I'M* the one who doesn't get it.

I'm a little old fashioned, I would like to know someone before I sleep with them. Not in a "My name is Jack, I work at the hospital, I like the color blue, take off your clothes baby" way but in a actually spending time together and getting to know each other and like each other way. Sometimes, when I talk to people, I think I'm a dinosaur that just escaped the Lost World and people are like "I thought you were extinct". I feel that way about my attitudes on marriage and fidelity too, although I like to think other people believe in those things as well.

Anyway, so how does someone actually meet people? How do you let them know you are on the market? How do you ever get anywhere? I get the whole "kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince" thing, but where do you find the frogs?

Maybe it's like a quest, when the time is right you find the way. I don't know. Where is the instruction book for life? Why are there billions of self-help books and yet still nobody knows how to get through life without wandering around like a lost child? Maybe the wandering is the point? Maybe. Maybe it's too late at night for me to wax philosophical. I think I'm confusing myself now.

Maybe you just walk along the edge of the pool, wanting to dip your toe in, until suddenly someone comes along and pushes you and you are in, gasping for breath, stroking along, and realizing the water is wonderful.

In that case, someone come along and push me. I'm ready to learn how to swim with the fishes.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with dating.
    At least you have an unique lion t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think, let me know what you feel, whatever, just comment already. ;)