Sunday, October 28, 2012

Time for my annual post, :)

Haha, something about Nanowrimo time always reminds me, hey, I have a blog I haven't been on in ages.


I'm going to brain dump because frankly it's a good thing to do before you start writing a novel so your characters don't inadvertently end up musing over your own life issues and letting that get in the way of their own adventures.

While driving to my parents house today, in a beautiful sunny, yet cool, October afternoon, I was jamming out to the radio and Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams came on. I love that song, and I think it's because I identify with the loneliness inside the lyrics. Sometimes I walk and wish someone would find me. My whole life I've been hoping someone would find me. When I was a kid, and would go visit my grandparents in the small town of Barnsdall, I would walk home from their bar in the warm summer night air, and I would run, run like the devil was chasing me, down any street, ducking around a corner, hiding in the bushes or behind someones trash cans, trying to silence my breathing while my chest felt like it was bursting and I would listen. Listen for the footsteps of the person chasing me, looking for me, trying to find me. They were never there, and I'd give up and find my way home, but deep inside that urge to flee and be found still lingers even today.

Speaking of Barnsdall, wow, what a mind trip. That tiny town that has been dying over the years is actually one of the many filming locations for the upcoming movie August: Osage County, which stars big names like Meryl Streep, Ewan McGregor, Julia Roberts, and I think it's directed by George Clooney. He's either the director or producer, I'm not sure. It blows my mind. They are also shooting in Pawhuska and Bartlesville. Way to go Oklahoma! And coincidentally, the high school here in Choctaw is also performing the play by the same name, that the movie is based on. I really want to go see it.

What else is rattling away inside my hollow skull. Hmm. I've had some interesting experiences and set backs this year. I've been blessed with some wonderful opportunities, I've done some really fun volunteer work and met lots of lovely people. The dating life has pretty much sucked, but that's okay. I spent most of the year hung up on a cling on I couldn't let go of, but finally found the closure I needed. The holidays are hard when you are alone. I still tend to feel like my life isn't supposed to be like this, I wasn't supposed to be thirty something and alone, but then again it's the "supposed to be"s that get in the way of what could be, so I'm working on letting go of it. I'm trying to keep busy and keep expanding my horizons.

So yes, obviously I'm doing Nano again this year, but I have decided I am really going to do it and complete it this year. I've played the lame duck for the past three years and had plenty of excuses to get away with it, but no more. It's time to either get serious, or let go of the dream of being a writer. I get to be a co-ml this year, so that's fun, I can't wait to plan some events.

Kids are doing great, work is okay, and my dog still thinks she's my baby. Generally life is pretty good, and when a good song comes on the radio, I'm rocking it out till the windows vibrate. I am working on being more honest with myself too.

In light of that, I'm scared. Wow that's hard to say. Ever since I got divorced, I've felt like I have to be strong and fearless and capable and in control. The truth is I'm terrified sometimes, and I'm lost sometimes, and sometimes I really want to hide somewhere and be weak and recover so I can be strong again. I used to beat myself up for feeling that way, but really, who am I kidding? I'm not super woman, and I'm human, I fail sometimes, I'm weak sometimes, I'm scared. It's okay, doesn't mean I can't handle things, just means I need to take time for me sometimes. It's still amazing how hard it is to say that though. Then again, I remember a time when it was painful to hear someone tell me I was beautiful, and I couldn't say it myself. I got through that, I'll get through this too.

Well I guess I better close up. I need to update my other blogs too. I've actually completed several of my cranes, even though I haven't updated there in over a year. Maybe I'll take that one down though, I don't know. We'll see.

Mmm, lots of free space in my brain now, time to go think about my novel. Only three days left to plan! Oh, and if I don't see you again before Halloween, eat a piece of candy for me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think, let me know what you feel, whatever, just comment already. ;)